Mr. Johnston has over two decades of experience in preparing, filing and prosecuting patent applications for clients ranging from large multinational corporations to startups and entrepreneurs. He has obtained over two hundred U.S. patents for clients and has extensive experience in foreign patent prosecution matters.
Mr. Johnston’s practice also includes:
- preparing freedom-to-operate opinions, patentability opinions and validity opinions
- negotiating and preparing patent license, intellectual property ownership and confidentiality/non-disclosure agreements
- conducting patent enforcement actions, patent portfolio management and counseling clients with regard to various intellectual property issues
- performing and leading intellectual property due diligence efforts for mergers and acquisitions
- preparing trademark availability opinions
- preparing, filing and prosecuting trademark applications
Mr. Johnston has in-depth experience with:
- cryogenic fluid processing, distribution and storage devices and systems
- medical devices
- automotive, trucking and railroad components and systems
- kitchen tools and gadgets
- restaurant equipment
- toys and child safety products
- sports equipment
- retail display systems
- consumer goods and apparel
- electrical cables and installation equipment
He also has experience with computer-based systems and methods in the utility, transportation, telecommunication, financial, real estate, online retail and inventory management fields.
Mr. Johnston has been a guest speaker at the Northwestern University College of Engineering and The University of Chicago Booth School of Business, has served as an officer in the United States Air Force and is a member of the American Legion.
1997 Loyola University of Chicago School of Law, Juris Doctor
1989 University of Nebraska, Master of Business Administration
1986 The Ohio State University, B.S. Mechanical Engineering